Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day to me.

Not much you can do to celebrate Mother's Day when your husband is working and your mom lives too far away for a quick visit.  So after church, I took the kids to a funeral home.  Why, you ask?  They have a nice pond with swans and fish in the memorial park. The swans have a nest and every year about this time the eggs hatch.  There was one baby swan that was swimming with the mother.  We took some old hot dog buns I found while cleaning out the pantry~ a little hard, but not moldy. The kids really enjoyed watching the fish come up and eat the bread.  I think the swans liked it, too.  We watched as a heron swooped across the pond and picked up one of the brilliant orange fish, took it to the bank on the other side and swallowed it whole.  It was a beautiful day to be outside.  

Picturing this memory in my mind, I realize it is similar to a time my mom took us on a picnic in a cemetery.  We often give her a hard time about this.  She took us to get lunch on the way to check out a Civil War era cemetery near our hometown.  I don't think the plan was to picnic in the cemetery, but that is where we decided to eat our lunch.  Of course for us kids, it was super creepy and something we will never forget.  Now here I am, taking my kids to a cemetery to celebrate Mother's Day.  Guess I shouldn't tease my mom about it anymore. Oh, she will be proud! 

We spent a quiet afternoon.  I thought I would enjoy having some time alone.  I rarely ever get to be in an empty house.  So Jackson came home from work and took the kids to the park.  It only poses one small problem... I keep wanting to spend my time doing work.  I think I should be relaxing, it is Mother's Day after all, but I can think of a million things that need done and very few that are fun.  There isn't even anything good on the television. I decided to write a quick post.  Now to get on with my evening.  I am afraid they will be home soon and I will have done nothing for myself.

Happy Mother's Day to all!     

Feeding the swans.

No comments:

Post a Comment