Monday, November 4, 2013

What is more important... A person or a car?

Last Friday afternoon I was having one of those days.  We were wrapping up a crazy week of cub scout bake sales, Halloween festivities and Box Top submissions(I am the BoxTop coordinator).  I was glad that the craziness was over.  Looking forward to a relaxing weekend.
While I was picking the boys up from school, Madalynn hopped in the front seat and was pretending to drive.  I was standing outside the driver-side door talking to a friend for about 10 minutes.  Of course, she flipped every light on and had the turn signal and windshield wipers on, too.  I went to leave the parking lot and my van wouldn't start.  This has happened a couple of times, so it is probably time for a new battery... ugh!

I saw a school staff memeber's husband waiting to pick her up, so I walked over to his truck and asked him for a jump.  He said no!  I have never encountered anyone who said no to helping someone with a jump start, unless they didn't have cables.  I told him I had a set in the van and he said he really didn't want to mess up his truck.  That was news to me... I had no idea giving someone a jump start could cause problems for the other vehicle.  He said he didn't know what it might do, but he didn't want to risk it.

I don't know why it upset me, but I felt really hurt by this.  I wouldn't think twice about helping someone, even a complete stranger, and certainly a mom with 4 kids waiting in the car, and I couldn't imagine anyone who wouldn't help out someone in need.  The guy didn't even roll his window down more than a crack!     

I ended up going into the office, tears in my eyes, and the kids' principal came to our rescue.  I came home and Googled jump starting and the damage it can do.  There are varying opinions, but theoretically it could do damage, so I shouldn't be too upset.  Though, in my opinion, people are much more important than your car.  I have yet to see a car damaged by giving a jump start, and I have done it myself more than 10 times in the past couple of years.  So I will continue to help a person in need and hope that my generosity outweighs the risk of damaging my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment