Friday, July 27, 2012

Everything in its place

As a mother of 4, I am constantly trying to do my best to keep up with the housework.  I am still nursing the baby, so that takes up a lot of time.  I like to give my kids lots of experiences, so we try to do all of the wonderful free things offered in town.  In order to be the best mom I can, I feel like I am always searching for ways to make my job easier. 

The other day I ran across a pin on Pinterest about how to magically make your house cleaner.  I can't remember the exact blog, but it was another mother of 4 (her children were grown though).  After reading it, I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with me. 

The secret?  Put things away when you are finished with them, and clean up as you go.  Sounds simple right?  Seems like it should be, but I am terrible at it.  Plus I have four other people who are not the best at putting things away.  They vary in degrees of messiness.  Madalynn will drop wrappers from snacks, or the snacks themselves when she is finished.  She does the same with toys.  Pick up a doll in the bedroom, carry it to the living room, drop it for a book, carry that to my bedroom, drop the book for MY makeup, carry that to the family room, etc.  She will do this all day!  The boys think putting Legos up on higher surfaces are putting them away.  Camden often hides his wrappers between the sofa cushions.  Jackson is the best at putting things away, but even he isn't perfect.  He hangs up his laundry only a couple times a month and often leaves glasses in the living room. 

I do some crazy things when it comes to putting things away.  The other day I painted my nails.  The nail polish made it to the bedroom, but a couple of days later I realized I had left it on Jackson's dresser... only steps from the closet where it goes.  I change Paxton's clothes and often leave his dirty clothes wherever I changed them.  I throw my shoes in the bottom of the closet, rather than put them in the shelves. 

While writing this, I am feeling rotten about being angry with my kids when they put their toys in the wrong places.  I spend hours organizing their things, and wonder why they can't put them back where they belong.  I can see I don't always lead with the best example. 

The question remains... Why don't I put my things where they belong?  I think of those people who have neat homes always.  Do they fight an everyday battle with this?  Some people say it is a habit, but how can I form the habit?  I always make my bed.  I always put away things in the bathroom.  I very rarely leave the kitchen a mess.  So why can't I put away the nail polish, the baby clothes, or my Kindle?  Why do I leave my empty purse on the entry bench when I switch to another?

I tend to think I get so tired of picking up after everyone else, that I just slack sometimes.  Madalynn is only 2.  She can put things away, but needs coaxing.  Paxton can't even sit up, so I have to put his things away, too.  After I have picked up all day long, I just don't want to think about putting things away anymore.  I also get distracted.  Most of the time I change Paxton, I am getting ready to nurse him.  When I finish, he is usually asleep.  I go to lay him down and forget I left the clothes laying there.

Is it a learned behavior, or is it inborn?  A result of bad habits, or being too distracted?  I guess it doesn't really matter.  I am going to try much harder to put things in their place.  If that is the secret to a clean home, then I had better embrace it.  Maybe my example will teach the children to put their things away, too.   If they put their things away, then I wouldn't be so worn down picking up after them.  Looks like it will come full circle... if I can only put everything in its place.

No comments:

Post a Comment